400 Bad Request when downloading Avatar Meta Data or Loading 2d Avatar

I submitted a support ticket for this but also posting here for visibility and to understand if others are seeing this or not.

I get a 400 Bad Request error with the message “This service is currently not available in your region: Illinois, USA.”. I understand that this service is not available in Illinois due to the BIPA regulations in Illinois, however my devices are NOT in Illinois, and I’ve also checked that my VPN is reporting my laptop’s location as NOT Illinois as well.

There are also a number of requests to ready player me’s APIs that work fine, it’s just the (1) meta data download request (which happens right before loading a new avatar from the provided avatar creator UI) and (2) loading 2d avatar (the LoadAvatarRenderAsync blueprint node) that give me errors. (If I bypass the avatar metadata download request, I can download the 3d avatar successfully)

I ALWAYS see the 400 errors for these two requests when I run the app on my Android phone, connected to home wifi. However, my unreal engine running on my laptop, will work fine (connected to the same wifi). The only time I’ve seen the error on my laptop is if I’m connected to VPN, and then ONLY the 2D avatar load fails. (i.e., the avatar metadata download still works even when I’m connected to VPN)

Anyone else having issues with this? any idea how location is determined, or if it’s only based on IP? If based on IP, seems like we’re just at the mercy of ISP, but if it’s reporting location incorrectly, then it seems like our apps will be rendered useless for some users without clear explanation.

Forgot to mention that this is UE 5.4.3, and RPM unreal plugin 3.3.0.
I’ve tested the API calls in Postman as well, and they follow the same pattern as my Unreal Engine calls. (Everything works as expected when I’m not connected to VPN, which is using the same wifi as my Android phone under test)

Hi Krudy,

Could you test if it works for you now? The BIPA issue should now be solved in Illinois that could’ve caused it.

This does seem to work for me now in the cases where I was seeing errors. I’d be concerned if regional limitations were put in place again though without us knowing and this issue would still be present.