Color Download Failed after Prepare Editor

In Blueprints, Ive started seeing the error “Color Download Failure” happen after “Prepare Editor” is called.

Avatar ID: 65d8ce2d0e1491018e067289

I have setup some avatars on another account to test making my own templates.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Can you confirm what development environment are you using?

Hi Amel

I’m using Unreal Engine 5.3.1, i’m building my project with code (in Rider).

I am using Ready Player Me SDK version 2.1.0

Does that answer your question?

Many thanks,
Sam.

Hi,
Could you try updating to the latest version of the unreal SDK 2.4? Otherwise, you also need to make sure that the App ID and Subdomain are set correctly.

Hi, I think I’m getting a similar problem but on Unity. I track it down to be a return of avatarAPIRequests.GetAvatarColors for the eye color type, looks like it is returning all types instead of only eye color, and with this, breaking this part of the app

1 Like

Will give this a try. I did review the changes for updating the SDK but i didn’t see anything notable.

Hello,
Can you please post this in a new thread under the Unity Category?
Thanks

Look like eye color changed category, from color to style, now that I got the package update I saw that and fixed it

Great to hear it’s fixed for you now :slight_smile:

Hello

Ive updated and just fixed the errors from the blueprint changes. Got it back to where it should be. Still getting the Color Download failure.

Ive done some digging, i see two URLs that contain the data i want. I do get this in blueprints.

I get all my information from this JSON file:
https://api.readyplayer.me/v2/avatars/65d8ce2d0e1491018e067289.json

But FRpmColorDownloader::DownloadColors gets the colour request from the FEndpoints::GetColorEndpoint trying to access this URL but getting a 401 error, even though its the same data:
https://api.readyplayer.me/v2/avatars/65d8ce2d0e1491018e067289/colors?type=skin,beard,hair,eyebrow

{"type":"UnauthorizedError","status":401,"message":"Unauthorized"}

I assume this error is happening because i don’t own the avatar i’m trying to access. I’ve setup a seperate account so i can setup my own custom templates.

Is the subdomain and app ID set up correctly?
You need to make sure that the subdomain and App ID are coming from the same application. You can find how to do the setup correctly by following step 2 from this documentation page: Quickstart - Ready Player Me

Hello,

Yes i can confirm the App ID and sub domain are setup properly as i can access my avatars and login.

Would a different App ID / Sub Domain cause problems with trying to Get avatars from accounts that aren’t my own?

No, but the subdomain of the application and app ID must come from the same application. And you can’t control what assets users would see if you are using an application that isn’t yours.

Looking into the link you provided above:
https://api.readyplayer.me/v2/avatars/65d8ce2d0e1491018e067289/colors?type=skin,beard,hair,eyebrow
This is a protected link. It means that the user Authorization token needs to be passed in with the request if you want to fetch the colors.

https://api.readyplayer.me/v2/avatars/65d8ce2d0e1491018e067289.json
This is a public link (No token required).

Unreal Avatar Creator/Unity Avatar Creator is built on the requirement that an anonymous user or RPM user is always logged in. By default, the flows should log users in as anonymous.

Hello,

Good to know. I’m not using any different apps, only the Ready Player Me.

This is a protected link. It means that the user Authorization token needs to be passed in with the request if you want to fetch the colors.

Is there a way to pass in a token manually / as a URL argument? I assume not.

It sounds like i should wait for that bug to be resolved before attempting this again. For now i’ve swapped back to the Avatar Templates RPM has provided.

Hello,
By app, we mean the application you created in your Ready Player Me Studio account.

Is there a way to pass in a token manually / as a URL argument? I assume not.

Token can be passed as a Header to the requests, so if you have an account token, that was used to create the avatar, then the same token can be added to the requests to also fetch the colors.

It sounds like i should wait for that bug to be resolved before attempting this again. For now i’ve swapped back to the Avatar Templates RPM has provided.

There is no bug in the SDK and the team couldn’t reproduce the issue so to be able to help with this, we would need to know your app id and avatar id. Could you please send an email to support with these info?
Contact support: support.portal.readyplayer.me
Thank you